FORTUNATELY THE SUN LIKE ALMOST ALL PROFESSIONALS ARE GENEROUS
REGARDING COPYRIGHT MATERIAL WITH NON PROFIT BLOGS.
The corruption of some of EUkip’s leadership
& NEC is what gives the remaining 10%
a bad name!
OPEN EUROPE CONFIRMS MY BLOG #485* IN TERMS OF ALLOWANCES FOR MEPs!
You may find the details of Blog #485* of interest as it gives more details of EUkip – CLICK HERE
MEPs and their expenses – the facts
Over the weekend Open Europe published a new ‘league table’ of all 785 MEPs, ranking them on 20 different criteria, including how they voted on proposals to increase transparency and reduce the waste of taxpayers’ money, attendance, whether they opt into the controversial second pension fund, and whether they voted to respect the Irish referendum on the Lisbon Treaty.
There are some interesting findings. While the UK, for instance, fares comparatively well among its counterparts in Europe – coming fourth out of 25 – many British MEPs, while talking a good game at home about EU reform, in fact leave a lot to be desired on closer inspection of their behaviour in Brussels (and Strasbourg).
– In April 2009, a majority of British MEPs (60%) voted to keep details about their own expenses secret, as well as voting against financial disciplinary measures for MEPs found guilty of misuse of funds, and voting to keep secret demands to pay back money. Only 24% of all British members voted to make expenses public.
– Only 13 out of 78 British MEPs voted in favour of a symbolic proposal calling for governments to respect the outcome of the Irish referendum on the Lisbon Treaty -before the referendum had even taken place.
– In 2005, 11 Labour MEPs voted in favour of a proposal to allow the deficit in MEPs’ highly controversial, and possibly illegal, second pension scheme to be plugged with taxpayers’ money. They also voted against attempts to oblige MEPs to contribute funds from their own pockets, as opposed to from their allowances, as is currently the case.
– Extraordinarily, in 2008 three Conservative British MEPS voted in favour of spending €290 million of taxpayers’ money on subsidies to tobacco farmers – despite the fact that the EU simultaneously spends millions on anti-smoking campaigns, such as the €74 million campaign named “Help: for a life without tobacco”.
– 30 British MEPs voted in favour of signing off the European Parliament’s own accounts for 2006, despite serious concerns raised by the European Court of Auditors over allowances for MEPs’ assistants. The auditors noted that only around 27% of the expenditure was adequately accounted for in 2006. Despite this, the European Parliament voted to clear the accounts.
You can also read our key findings from other MEPs CLICK HERE.
In the midst of the currenty public outcry over MPs’ expenses, the ranking’s findings on MEPs’ expenses are particularly interesting.
Because also over the weekend, Gordon Brown told the FT that he would force Labour MEPs to publish receipts for all their expenses in future. This is a big move – as currently, ludicrously, MEPs are not required by the European Parliament to produce any receipts for their spending of public money. The move goes further than that offered by any other British party.
BUT – if they are serious about this idea, then why on earth is it missing from their manifesto for the European elections on 4 June? The manifesto was unveiled just 2 weeks ago – right in the middle of the expenses scandal unfolding at Westminster – so there can be no excuses that they didn’t know this was going to be a big issue.
If Labour means business about keeping an publishing all receipts – which we sincerely hope they do, as this would send a powerful message to the EP and would put all 200 odd parties in the EP under pressure to do the same or change the rules – then Labour should change its manifesto immediately to reflect the new commitment. They have more than a week before the elections, so it’s not too late.
Voters need to something to be able to hold them to (not that it worked with their manifesto commitment to a referendum on the EU Treaty, mind). Because our study shows that in 2005, three Labour MEPs voted against obliging MEPs to produce receipts for their travel expenses.
After all, as the front page of the Sun newspaper repeated this morning, Open Europe has found that the expenses we’re referring to are no small matter – amounting to an enormous £363,000 a year per MEP. This is on top of the basic salary of £83,282 (representing a huge pay rise for UK MEPs from June onwards) £41,573 in ‘transition payments’ when they leave office, and pension rights of up to £30,000 for a single five-year term.
The expenses break down as follows:
£36,778 in ‘subsistance allowances’ (£259 a day for 142 days of the year)
£5,885 in language and IT courses
£87,407 in travel expenses (the EP’s budget for 2009 puts aside €77,988,000 for ‘ordinary travel expenses’, which works out at €99,347 for every MEP)
£3,756 in ‘additional annual travel allowance’
£183,776 in staff allowances, and
£45,648 in office expenses (£3,804 a month)
In June, there will be a slight change to the rules, which will mean that MEPs will be required to produce receipts for their travel expenses for the first time – however, offsetting that, is a new, explicit reference to ‘business class’ for flights even within the EU – raising the barrier instead of lowering it.
To view the original of this article CLICK HERE
TO LEAVE THE EU
What is the exit and survival plan for these United Kingdoms to maximise on the many benefits of leaving The EU. It is the DUTY of our Politicians and Snivil Cervants to ensure the continuity, liberty and right to self determination of our peoples they have a DUTY to protect against crime and secure both our food and our border.
NONE of these DUTIES has a single British politician upheld for 40 years. They have drawn their incomes fraudulently and dishonesty.
Politicians are failing to tell the truth, but so are almost all wanabe Politicians, the MSM and Snivil Cervants.
The fact is that even if EVERY British MEP wanted change in The EU it would achieve NOTHING.
Every single British Politician, of EVERY Party, elected since before we joined the EUropean Common Market, has promised to change The EU’s CAP – In 40 Years they have achieved absolutely NOTHING!
To try to put a value on OUR Freedom is as futile as floccipaucinihilipilification and as odious as the metissage of our societies, as we rummage in the ashes of our ancestors dreams, sacrifices and achievements, the flotsam of our hopes and the jetsam of our lives, consider the Country and Anglosphere which we leave our children and the future, with shame!
01291 – 62 65 62
PLEASE POST THIS TAG AS FOLLOWS:ON YOUR eMAILS & BLOGS, FORUM POSTINGS & MAILINGS – GET THE MESSAGE TO THE PEOPLE IT IS OUR BEST HOPE AS WHOEVER IS APPOINTED WILL MAKE NO DIFFERENCE AS PROVED!
I SUGGEST – since there is clearly no political party of repute, advocating or campaigning for withdrawal of these United Kingdoms from the EU and restoration of our independent sovereign, democracy, with Justice & the right to self determination in a free country. Deny the self seeking & meaningless wanabe MEPs the Mythical Mandate for which they clamour. Diktat is imposed from The EU but Law should be made at Westminster, for our Country & our Peoples.
Write Upon Your Ballot Paper:
LEAVE THE EU