UKIP chairman Steve Crowther has been told 16 of the party’s Welsh election candidates are reconsidering whether the organisation represents them following a race row.
They have formally complained over comments by UKIP South Wales Central assembly candidate Gareth Bennett.
Mr Bennett linked rubbish problems in Cardiff to Eastern European immigrants.
Meanwhile UKIP Wales head of media Alexandra Phillips is stepping down as a candidate citing personal reasons.
Mr Bennett’s fate as a candidate is expected to be decided on Monday.
The complaint about him, made in a letter to Mr Crowther seen by BBC Wales, reads: “We believe the party should take swift and immediate disciplinary action against Mr Bennett.
“We as candidates and many members who support us are deeply considering whether UKIP really represents us.”
The letter, signed by 16 candidates for the assembly and the police and crime commissioner elections, said Mr Bennett had “undermined the party and our own ability to campaign through his offensive… comments about immigrants to Wales”.
It said Mr Bennett’s comments “are contrary to UKIP’s fair and ethical stance on immigration”, and he had “degraded our ability to campaign and connect with voters by saying it is pointless to knock on doors”.
“Mr Bennett is not fit to be a lead candidate in a grassroots party where engaging the public is crucial to our success,” the letter added.
The South Wales Central candidate linked rubbish problems in Cardiff’s City Road area to immigration in a Wales Online interview in March.
He said: “I think with some of the ethnicities that have moved in, possibly the Eastern Europeans, they just don’t have any awareness of the hygiene problem that is being caused at times.”
He stood by his comments in an interview with the BBC’s Daily Politics programme, and said he had served a draft legal letter to his party saying UKIP could face action for lost earnings of £300,000 if he were to be deselected.
Nigel Farage, party leader, said last week he was “less than impressed” with Mr Bennett.
UKIP’s vetting committee met on Sunday and is due to report to the NEC meeting.
Meanwhile, Ms Phillips, who was to be UKIP’s number two candidate on the South Wales Central regional list behind Mr Bennett, told BBC Wales she would continue in her media role for the campaign, but would no longer be seeking election herself.
“I’ve given it a lot of thought and have decided party politics is not for me,” she told BBC Wales.
“It’s a personal decision – I don’t want to take on a partisan role.”
To view the original article CLICK HERE